- About a third (31%) of people retired early because they could afford but many people say they were not financially ready to retire when they did
- 30% (4m) of retirees said they weren’t in a good financial position to retire when they did
- 37% (2m) of women said they were not in a good financial position to retire when they did.
The research highlights the many reasons** why people retired earlier than planned.
- 31% (1.8m) said they could afford to retire
- 27% (1.5m) said they did not want to work any more
- 25% (1.4m) retired early because of ill health or injury
- 17% (1m) because of stress or mental health
- 15% (0.9m) because of redundancy
- 9% (0.5m) say they retired because they disliked their boss or management
- 6% (0.4m) retired because they had to care for a partner or parent who was in ill health
(Figures add up to more than 100% because respondents chose multiple responses).